Wednesday, June 21, 2006

MA!

The title is not, as it may suggest, an Irish boy's cry for his Mother. Rather it's the most concrete thing I've done in a long time. I've applied to various colleges to do an MA in Screenwriting. And guess what? I've been accepted into Goldsmiths on the strength of my application and interview. Given how few places there are I was pretty chuffed to get the good news. I'm still applying for one or two more but I do have somewhere to go in September once my job finishes and I leave the flat.

The pros and cons of a Screenwriting MA can be debated at length. Does every working writer have an MA? Not even close. But I have to look at things from my own point of view. Regardless of the academic merits, a year spent writing with a group of people with that level of guidance is hugely exciting and potentially very rewarding. Any contacts I make can only be a good thing and you never know, I may just learn something while I'm there too. The fact that I was offered a place was a great boost to the confidence. And it means I don't have to work for a year! Yay! Well I will have to work but at least I'll have the MA too. I'm not a big fan of work. This is something that will becomes clear as the blog progresses.

So that's the start of the plan. I have a feeling I'm underestimating how difficult it's going to be, how intense, just how much work will be involved. But bring it on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home