Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The OC

"Californiaaaaaa..."

Fuck me I hate that song and the programme it accompanies. The OC represents everything that is wrong with the world. Too dramatic? Not if you ask me. There are no words for the hatred I bear that vapid pile of shit. Though I wouldn't say no to a bit of Seth. Unless he sang that song to me.

"Californiaaaaa..." Smack!

No, as it happens I'm not talking about the Orange County. I am instead talking about a little term made famous by one TS Elliott. The Objective Corellative. Yet another reason why I'm struggling at the moment with my script is because I have no way to outwardly express my character Conor's journey. The fact I'm still unsure exactly what his journey is doesn't help. But I need that thing he is going to do. I need his lost ark, his caravan for his Mother, the English Channel he's going to swim across, the external thing he will accomplish to let us know his inner emotional journey has been fulfilled. Last week my friend suggested that he search for his own Mother's birth Mother and by reuniting them at the end, he reunites himself with his own Mother. I got very excited by this idea but the more I think about it, good though the idea is, I'm just not sure about it for my script. Another friend said to me the other day to consider what my characters are doing in relation to the objective corellative and the outward journey and if I'm having to bring in some outside thing, like his Mother's Mother, then maybe my central characters aren't working hard enough. An interesting point and one I took on board. So this week I'm searching again.

It sounds like it should be easy. Maybe if I were starting from the other way around, ie laying down characters and emotions on top of an OC that would be easier, rather than trying to find an OC for my characters. I don't know if that's necessarily true. Maybe because I've come from a particular point of view I'm just in a "grass is greener" state of mind and am convincing myself that doing anything other than what I am doing would be easier. It's hard to know. All I do know is that finding the "thing" is proving fucking tough. Maybe it's because I don't have enough story material yet? Maybe I'm not giving myself enough options? It seems so easy when you see it done well. But I guess that can be applied to anything. Making something good look easy is usually one of the indicators of something done well. I've had three coffees and made 2 1/3 pages of notes over the last 3 hours and I'm still no closer to finding it. I am now fighting the urge to join some friends who are at the pub tonight. It would be so easy to give up for the day. Sigh.

"From the wrong side to the pool side." Do me a fucking favour...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home