Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Testing...testing...

Ah my friends... I knew you'd be there waiting with baited breath for the return of your favourite Irish writer in London. And guess what? He's back!

Still no one out there eh? Still talking to myself? Oh well... It's all therapy.

What a few months its been! Turned 30 (had a brilliant party! Sooo cool!) left my beloved flat in West London and said goodbye to Kev my housemate of 8 years (8 fucking years! You might not get that for murder.) and Karen, housemate on and off for 6 years, both my best friends and that was really sad. Left sunny West London for the dark, depraved depths of East London...!! Well it's not that bad. Though it kind of is. I'm in New Cross and I have bars on my windows and the permanent sound of sirens in my ears. And of course the big thing is that I've started my MA in scriptwriting. So far I have to say it's going really well. It's fucking tough going but it's (mostly) very, very good. We have a few duff lectures of course but I'm learning a phenomenol amount and the biggest thing I'm learning is that I knew fuck all about scriptwriting before I started. Which is pretty frightening. What if I hadn't done this course? What if the redundancy hadn't come up? Pointless questions I suppose but it makes me think of fate and coincidence and determining one's own path and all that stuff. I realise that I haven't made it before now because I was kind of stumbling around in the dark, occasionally hitting something, but more often than not unable to see what I was doing or where I was going.

It's interesting because, going in to the course, I was hoping to have an advantage and in some ways I do. Sometimes I feel like I grasp ideas and concepts a little quicker because I've simply been thinking about scriptwriting and actually doing it, however unsuccessfully, for a long time. A worryingly long time in fact. But in general I am in exactly the same boat as everyone else which at first was a little hard to take. I know that may read a little egotistically but I just mean that I have lived and breathed film for so long I was hoping to have a leg up. Now however I have let my ego go and I find myself comforted by my class, my my classmates (who are truly excellent) and by the volume of information I find myself absorbing each week. Our Monday classes, in which we examine storytelling generally and our own work specifically, are always pretty painful but very, very rewarding. In a nutshell, I'm as happy as a pig in shite.

I have of course got plently more to say. But I simply wanted to write something in order to get used to posting again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You aren't talking to yourself! I stumbled across your blog ages ago while trawling through blogger, and bookmarked it but I had assumed you'd given up blogging. So, welcome back!

Good luck with your MA, sounds great - is it Goldsmiths?

10:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home